Sunday, February 6, 2011

Snow, Decisions, and Good Training

Hello Readers,

This was a very good week for training (except for Monday, maybe). We were hit with a really nasty blizzard that dumped a good 20'' of snow and got us out of school for three days. Due to the weather though, I had to run inside on the treadmill for most of the week, but I still got in quality training. I got in a solid long run, a high-end aerobic effort in the form of a progression run, and a good tempo as well. Also, I did strides on more days after my runs this week, and one day tried to simulate some hill sprints on the treadmill, which was makeshift at best though.

Also, I made a very big decision. I committed to run for the Adams State Grizzlies next year! I'm very excited about this. I felt that it was a great opportunity for me, and something I didn't want to pass up. I talked about a lot of the things I liked about the school in the last post, so I won't go too deep into detail on why I chose the school. Overall though, I felt like it would be the best fit for me and something new to look forward to for next school year.

Here's the log for the week:

Sunday - 12 mile long run, 1:19:27 (6:37/mi). Felt good and strong. Temps were in the mid 30s so that felt nice. Splits: 1-6:46,2-6:37,3-6:37,4-6:31,5-6:43,6-6:37,7-6:33,8-6:30,9-6:36,10-6:45,11-6:36,12-6:31. Although the splits don't really show it, the legs came off the last couple of miles. I really don't have many long runs under me this cycle yet though. Upper calf was bothering me afterwards.

Monday - Just 2 miles slow on the treadmill. Upper calf was bothering me really bad so I had to call it quits. No additional cross training as it was late and I wasn't up for the 20min drive to and from Macomb.

Tuesday - AM: 30min of Aqua jogging at YMCA. Made it home just as the blizzard was getting bad.
PM: 8 miles in 53:47 on treadmill (6:43/mi). First 45:00 were progression run (6.82mi). I started very slow because of the calf so the overall distance for that time isn't anywhere near impressive. I started at about 7:30/mi and worked down at the end to about 6:05/mi. The last 1.2 miles were cool down at 6:55/mi. Run was continuous. Not a great progression run, but with calf pain it wasn't bad, and it gives me a lot to work on in the coming weeks.

Wednesday - 10 miles on treadmill (Ew), 1:08:23 (6:50/mi). Strides on it afterwards, 6x20sec. Treadmill only goes up to 12mph or 5:00/mi, so they were pretty relaxed. Did them at that speed on 2% incline.

Thursday - AM: 2 mile shakeout on treadmill in 14:44 (7:22/mi)
PM: 2.5 warmup with most of it outside in 18:00 (7:12/mi), 20 min tempo on treadmill (3.42mi--5:50/mi), 2.08mi cool down in 14:17 (6:52/mi). Tempo felt very relaxed, and the pace was slower than what a true tempo is run at for me, but the treadmill just makes things feel forced and unnatural so I kept it conservative. Also, there definitely wasn't any chance of doing anything fast outside, as the roads are still completely covered. (Tot. of 8mi, 10 on day)

Friday - 8 miles on treadmill in 54:36 (6:49/mi). Stopped at 1 mile to do 5x10sec "Hill Sprints". Since my treadmill can't even go my 2mile race pace, these obviously weren't fast enough, but with the incline at the right steepness I think I got the correct stimulus needed from this workout. I did them at 12mph and 6% incline.

Saturday - AM: 6 miles easy OUTSIDE!, 42:00 (7:00/mi). Did it around town. I still slipped around quite a bit but it felt good to get some fresh air. 6x80m strides on my street afterwards.
PM: 5 miles easy, 37:51 (7:34/mi), around Peoria with Bradley University runner Nathan Davis. There was a ton of slush on the sidewalks, and big snow banks everywhere that we were hurdling and running over, so that definitely slowed things a bit. This was my second run that was with other people in the last 62 days! I was in Peoria to pick up a new pair of trainers, as my Kinvaras have nothing left in them. I ended up having to order them, because they didn't really have the colorway that I wanted, and I didn't really want to look at a color that I hate for the next 3 months, so I held off. Hopefully my trainers can last another good 10 days! (Tot. 11mi on day)

Weekly Total: 61 miles. Plus 30 minutes of Aqua-Jogging. That means, excluding Monday, I averaged just about 10 miles a day. I'm getting back up there in mileage, and things are going well. I hope to build on this next week, and put in some more quality. I'm happy about the training that I've been putting in, but also the fact that I think I can stay injury-free, as I've been feeling strong the last couple of days.

Also, before I sign off, I'd like to take some time to say the word marshmallow. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW NATHAN?!?

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment