Sunday, February 13, 2011

Help! IMPRISONED IN FEBRUARY

I haven't referenced anything from Once A Runner yet in my blog, but I felt that this week's title was suiting. I didn't really do a whole lot other than run this week. It got cold, really cold, midweek. A few of the days I had to get back on that dreaded treadmill, but I can't really do anything fast when the temps are sub zero or when there is ice covering the streets, so I kept the quality miles inside. By Saturday it warmed quite a bit, so that felt really nice!

As a whole, this week went really well. Here's the log:

Sunday - 14 mile long run, 1:30:06 (6:26/mi). Splits: 1-6:35, 2-6:28, 3-6:33, 4-6:23, 5-6:24, 6-6:20, 7-6:15, 8-6:58 (hilly!), 9-6:17, 10-6:24, 11-6:19, 12-6:19, 13-6:19, 14-6:27. Best of all, that felt easy!!

Monday - 9 miles easy, 1:02:00 (6:53/mi). Half outside, half inside on treadmill. It was very cold and icy out, and unfortunately I took a pretty bad fall going around a boulevard. The fall itself isn't what made me head in early, it's the fact that my whole left glove went through a frozen puddle when I was breaking my fall. After my entire left arm was entirely soaked with water, I continued to run for about another 10 minutes and my glove completely froze and hardened up. 10 degree weather will do that to you.

Tuesday - It was 4 degrees and icy, not the best progression run weather so I kept it on the treadmill: 1 mi easy (7:00), 6x20sec strides, 8.5mi progression run in 54:18 (6:23/mi) starting at 6:45/mi and working to 6:05/mi. Half mile cool down. (9mi in 57:48; Total of 10mi in 1:04:48)

Wednesday - 8 miles, 55:00 (6:52/mi). Just 4x80m strides halfway through, quad was hurting some.

Thursday - AM: 2 mile shakeout, 14:22 (7:11)
PM: 3 warmup outside in 20:26 (6:48/mi), 6x80m strides on road, back inside to treadmill-20min tempo covering 3.46mi (5:46/mi), 2min recovery, 5 more minutes at tempo pace covering .86mi (5:48/mi), back outside for 2.72mi cool down in 19:52 (7:18/mi). It was still really cold and icy and I would be holding myself back if I were slowing down for all of the ice around town. (Total of 10mi, 12 on day)

Friday - 9 miles, 1:01:09 (6:47/mi).

Saturday - AM: 5 miles easy, 34:16 (6:51/mi). 6x8sec hill sprints after. The hill sprints weren't quality, and I don't feel that I even benefited from them. The hill was still covered with thick snow/ice and I slipped the whole way up. I don't think that was too smart.
PM: 5 miles easy, 35:13 (7:02/mi). Very nice out, only had to wear a long sleeve shirt, shorts, and gloves. Big change from earlier in the week. (10mi on day)

Weekly Total: 72 miles. Very good week. My highest mileage since this summer/fall. Hopefully I can have a lot more weeks like this. I might drop back down a little bit next week, it just depends on how the body is feeling. I did general strength/injury prevention everyday from Thursday-Saturday. I got pretty lax on it early in the week, and just felt a little "off", so I think that was the reason why. I need to keep progressing that as well. I was hoping for some relaxed 200s this week, but couldn't really get access to an indoor track. Hopefully with the warming trend that is supposed to be happening in the next few days the track can get cleared or it will be easier to shovel it off, we'll see. Regardless, I need to get my legs used to a quicker pace than what I've been going. Aerobically, I'm starting to feel really fit again, and things are just feeling really easy.

I start official  team track practice this week. I don't think my mileage should take too much of a hit though, as I normally do my own thing anyway. I'll update you guys on how that kind of stuff works out for me in a typical track season, as obviously in Bushnell we don't have too many serious distance guys.

Have a good week, everyone!

-John

2 comments:

  1. When does your racing season start, and on which distances will you be focusing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first indoor race will be a mile on March 5th. We don't really have a true indoor season for high school in IL, some of the bigger Chicago area school have closer to a full indoor season, but really we don't put a ton of emphasis on it. We do have a big meet that serves as our "Indoor State" at the end of March. If I do that, which I probably will, I'll have two races before that. Right after that meet though we're already into outdoor. My focus this season will be on the 3200 and our state meet is generally the last weekend in May.

    ReplyDelete