Sunday, February 20, 2011

Aches and Pains

I'm late on getting this post out, so please forgive me. This week didn't go great, but wasn't horrible either. A big upside to the week though was the weather. We got away from the sub zero temps and the daytime high ranged from mid 40s to mid 60s all week, so that was very nice. I had to drop the mileage down some midweek because of some nagging pain though. I also only had one threshold session this week compared to the usual two. I got a new pair of shoes on Thursday, which were badly needed as my current pair of Kinvaras have at least 900 miles on them and I think are part of the reason why I've been hurting so much. This is my third pair of Kinvaras, and I can't explain the relief I felt once I put them on at end of my run on Thursday. It was a big boost! We had team practice on Mon, Wed, Thurs this week, but I did my own training as normal.

Here's how the week played out:

Sunday - 13 mile Long Run. Kept it slower and more relaxed this week. 1:27:07 (6:42/mi). Splits: 1-6:47, 2-6:41, 3-6:46,4-6:45,5-6:39,6-6:43,7-6:41,8-6:47,9-6:37,10-6:38,11-6:44,12-6:33,13-6:41. Great weather! Just a t-shirt and gloves necessary.

Monday - 9.5 miles in 1:03:50 (6:43/mi), 9x80m strides. First day of track practice. I did this while the rest of the team was in the gym doing p90x. Perfect weather. The bottom outside of right foot was really bothering me.

Tuesday - AM: 2 mile shakeout. Right quad and outside of foot really hurting.
                PM: 30min of Aquajogging (swim lessons prevented me from doing more). Had progression run planned, but I was just hurting too much. Decided to give myself a rest. Along with the other things mentioned from this morning, my right hamsting/glute connector was bothering me just walking around.

Wednesday - AM: 7:00am chiropractor appointment with Dr. Jay in Peoria. Had to leave town at 5:30, but it  was well worth it. He did some ART on me, made sure I was aligned well, and gave me some tips on some more strength and preventive things to do.
PM: 8 miles easy in 46:40 (6:40/mi), 8x200m relaxed. I just tried to run 5:00/mi (37s) pace as smooth as possible just to transition smoothly. Obviously that's pretty slow and slower than my race pace, but the key wasn't to go that fast, just to stay relaxed. Shoveled off the track before practice with my dad so that I could do these. Despite the great 50-60 degree weather we've been having, there were still some pretty big drifts on the track. I definitely appreciate him taking a few hours out of his day to shovel lane 8 just so I could do some 200s on the track after my run. Thanks Dad! (Tot. 9.5mi)

Thursday - 2mi warmup in 13:44 (6:53/mi), strides, 1 mile @ LT pace (5:56, slow) aborted workout, 6 mi cooldown. Felt horrible today, and right from the get go in my warmup I could tell. The planned workout was 4-6xmile cruise intervals at LT/Tempo pace. Just didn't feel smooth on the first one and felt it would be good to hold off a day. Put on my new pair of trainers for the last 2.5 miles of my run and my legs felt much better! (Tot. 9mi)

Friday - 3 mi warmup in 20:00 (6:40/mi), strides, 5xmile @ LT pace w/ 2:00 recovery (5:45,5:45,5:42,5:42,5:40), 2 mi cooldown in 13:52 (6:57). Felt much better today. Felt very smooth and I know that I didn't go over the prescribed effort of tempo pace today. (Tot. 10mi)

Saturday - AM: 5 miles very easy in 35:46 (7:10/mi) on seven hills road, 6x8sec Hill Sprints with much better grippage than last week. PM: 5 miles easy in 34:56 (6:57/mi). Tendon that connects the hamstring and calf was really bothering me, but (10mi on day)

Weekly Total: 63 miles. Only one tempo workout, but a quite a bit of days with strides after the runs, some relaxed 200s sprinkled in, and some hill sprints to recruit some muscle fibers that haven't been used for awhile. Not too bad of a week, it just could have been better.

I hope everyone had a good week!

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment