Saturday, January 22, 2011

I Need Sleep

I'm going to give you guys a brief update, but will have to post my weekly log at a later time. I'm extremely tired and all I can think about is going to bed. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Alamosa, CO typing this. We arrived here at around 11:00 this morning after 21 hours in the car. I hardly got any sleep and am now paying the price. Typing my training log for this week just doesn't sound as good as laying in that comfy bed I'm looking at. I'm here for an official visit to Adams State College which will start tomorrow and go through Monday. I'm hoping to get a feel for campus and get to know the team. Also, I know that I said I would type a midweek entry this week, and it didn't happen. I've been pretty busy this week with trying to plan this visit among other things. The post was going to be about my college decision, and what's going through my head right now as I weight the options. I think it'll be better for me to write that after I visit ASC (maybe Tuesday?), so that I have a good idea of what all of the schools have to offer. It's beautiful out here, and I really like the place so far. I've been pretty unstructured with my posting schedule, so I'll try to get better with that. Look for an update sometime tomorrow with my log for the week...


Here's what I was up to:

Sunday - 8 miles, 54:48 (6:51/mi). Left sartorius muscle was bothering me some.
Full injury prevention work (shin drills, side planks, supermans, most of pedistal routine)

Monday - 10 miles around town, 1:05:23 (6:32/mi). Felt pretty good, upped the effort midway through so that I was hitting 6:20s after the first few miles were into the wind.

Tuesday - 9 miles, 61:30 (6:50/mi)
Injury Prevention/Core Work

Wednesday - 3 mile warmup outside in 20:53 (6:58/mi), 4x80m strides in front of house, 5 miles up-tempo (slower than real tempo pace, faster than regular run, typically the pace I do my long steady states at) on treadmill in 30:09 (6:13/mi), 1 mi cool down in 7:00. Tot of 9mi..Left Sartorius muscle was hurting again

Thursday - No  running. Still trying to let this thing heal, although it has been doing a lot better. It's just frustrating having to take these days off here and there. 53 minutes of Aqua-jogging/swimming at the Y. Would have went way longer but I had to get out of the pool for their swim lessons.
Core Workout (Pullups, pushups, walkout one-legged pushups, leg raises)

Friday - 6:45 AM: 6 Miles easy, 41:35 (6:55/mi) before school. It was dark, -5 degrees with a -18 degree windchill. I stayed inside. I've braved that weather before, but until my legs are 100% I'm not risking anything, as much as I hate the treadmill.
1:30pm: 4 miles easy on treadmill, 27:25 (6:51/mi).
Off to Alamosa!!!

Saturday - 2:30pm: 8mi, 55:07 (6:54/mi) at 7500 feet. First run at altitude. I definitely noticed a difference, luckily though with my easy effort I wasn't affected too much. Beautiful weather. It was sunny and about 45 degrees, but with a very strong cross wind. Much better than the single digit highs the day before in Illinois. Kept the mileage lower today because of the long run tomorrow with the team. Nothing really hurt, but my form did feel a bit "off". Maybe that was from a being in a car for 21 hours though.
Lots of stretching/rolling out. All of injury prevention drills.

Total: 54 miles, plus 53min of aqua-jogging. Not great mileage, but I wasn't looking for great numbers this week. Base fitness is good, but I hope I can be 100% soon, because I really need to be getting in more strides and better quality work. Was able to get in a little bit of higher-end aerobic running in this week though.

Look for next week's post to detail more stuff about the college visit out to Alamosa, and the training I did while I was there. Also, look for a post on my college thoughts soon.

-John

3 comments:

  1. wow- have a great visit! I have a son who is a sophomore in high school, so we are really interested in the recruiting process. I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog! Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. runsinthefamily - Thank you. I hope I can help in some way. I just posted the entry on where I'm at in the decision making process. If you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to post a comment.

    Running Diva Mom - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete