Saturday, January 1, 2011

Here We Go...

Hello readers,
I guess I’ll start out by introducing myself. I’m John Slater and I’m a Senior at Bushnell-Prairie City High School in Bushnell,IL. I’ve been running competitively since Junior High School, and throughout the years my training has continually advanced and my improvement has been quite consistent. When starting out, I was quite average, but with consistent work over the years, I’d like to think that I’ve gotten myself out of that mediocrity. My progression hasn’t been completely linear though, as I’ve had my fair share of setbacks the last couple of years. My current personal records are 4:38 for 1600 meters, 9:51 for 3200 meters, and 15:36 for 3 mile XC.
I’ve definitely been influenced by various other running blogs that I regularly read (Nate Jenkins training blog, Craig Macpherson’s, and Steve Magness’ to name a few). I don’t know exactly what direction I’m going to go with this blog. It’s definitely going to be part training log/diary, part training philosophy rambling, and I’d also like to use this as a place to discuss my opinions on other topics, whether they are related to running or not. There aren’t many high school running blogs, and I think that is something that will make this blog unique and different from others. Most other running blogs by high schoolers are  by the very elite or through dyestat, and they don’t really reveal much at all. I’m just a semi-elite high school runner, trying to see how fast he can be, and I hope that can be something that sets this blog apart from the rest.  
Right now, I don’t really have a set plan for how often I’m going to update this blog. I don’t know if I’m going to update it on a weekly basis, or just whenever I feel like it. I’ve always been kind of hesitant to let my training out into the open, for fear of my competitors or rivals knowing what I’m doing and copying or trying to outdo my training. At this point, I’m not too concerned. If they know what I’m doing, fine. They still have to get out the door and do the work. Also, one of the main reasons that I’m doing this blog is to spread knowledge and to help others, because I can’t say how much reading other blogs have helped me. 
I want to publicly announce my goals, analyze my training, and discuss my races. I want to show the ups and downs of my training, and let people know what’s going through my mind in a typical racing season, or training cycle. Currently, I’m coming off of what I would consider a successful cross country season for the most part, and the most consistent training cycle of my life (only 2 days off of running from June 17th-November 27th). I took a week of down time after XC, and am now in the 4th week of this training cycle. I'm training for the 2011 track season, which will be my last season of competitive High School running. I’ve got some big goals, and I’m really excited for what the next few months will bring! 
Here’s the log for this week:


Sunday 12/26 - 9.76mi easy, 1:08:12 (6:59/mi). In Nebraska for Christmas at my grandparents. It was cold and windy, and I wasn't really feeling that great. My shin muscles were hurting for pretty much the whole run, probably due to me taking Christmas off. I'm generally pretty achy whenever I take a day off, that's why I try not to that often. Was going for 10 today, but got to the house and hands were frozen, I'll add on more on my next run.


Monday 12/27 - 10.32mi unplanned long-tempo, 1:03:50 (6:11/mi). I was feeling really good today after the first mile, so I decided to put in a moderate effort. Felt really good and relaxed though. Splits: 1-6:28,2-6:12,3-6:13,4-6:14,5-6:18,6-5:57,7-6:08,8-6:03,9-6:03,10-6:12, last bit at 6:10 pace. Overall it felt really comfortable. Injury prevention and core afterwards.


Tuesday 12/28 - Hilly 10mi easy, 1:08:43 (6:52/mi). Felt good, nice weather, especially for it being winter in Nebraska. 6x80m strides afterwards. 


Wednesday 12/29 - AM: 5 mi easy, 34:47 (6:58/mi), travel back to Illinois
                                    PM: 5 mi easy, 34:59 (6:59/mi). Dark and icy.
Femur bone has been hurting the last few days when walking around and going up and down stairs, getting out of the vehicle and when doing other things. This isn't good. I'm going to play it cautious.


Thursday 12/30 - Femur bone still causing pain, but the weird thing is that it hasn't hurt while running (I've noticed it definitely, but no significant pain). I'm still worried, and don't even want to think about a stress fracture. So no running today. I'm going to be taking 3 days completely off of running, I don't want to, but I've got to be smart.
Cross Training - 1:07:22 of aqua-jogging at YMCA, with about 300meters of swimming mixed in, 25 minutes on stationary bike afterwards (Tot. 92 minutes of aerobic activity)


Friday 12/31 - 1:00:00 of aqua-jogging, with some intense portions, and 400 meters of swimming mixed in. 37:00 of biking outside, only 9.1 miles. Really warm out, but very windy (Tot. 97 minutes of aerobic activity)


Saturday 1/1 - 56:00 of aqua-jogging, with 450 meters of swimming mixed in. Would have went longer but the Y was about to close on me. (Tot. 56 minutes of aerobic activity)


Weekly Total: 40.5 miles of running (planned for 70), Over 3 hours of aqua-jogging, and an 1:02:00 of cycling.

Definitely not what I was hoping for this week. I'm going to try running again tomorrow. I've been looking on the internet, and have talked to some people about stress fractures. I don't know what I would do if I had a femoral stress fracture. Right now though, I'm pretty optimistic, as I can hop on one foot and not experience any pain (a really good sign). I'm not too worried about missing 3 days, I can maintain aerobic fitness in the short-term with cross-training, and already being in really good shape. If everything goes as planned, I'll try to do what I set out to do this week, maybe minus a few miles. The number one goal is to run pain free though.


                                   
Feel free to comment on the blog with any questions, advice, or other remarks that you may have. 
See you soon!
-John

5 comments:

  1. Wow. 6:50 is your easy runs...I've did that pace before but it wasn't easy...not hard but again not easy...I really don't know anyone who runs ten miles that fast on easy days....I stay around the 7;30 zone...of course I only run 4:40 1600 and 17:00 5k xc....
    Really am glad there're a high school bloger that isn't a super elite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally speaking, your easy run pace should gradually get faster as your fitness improves. I used to run over 8 minute pace on my long runs as a freshman, and now run 6:40 pace with the same effort. It just comes with better aerobic strength, and being consistent with your training. I don't like to obsess over easy run pace though. A lot of it depends of how I'm feeling, and if I'm feeling good I'll go quicker, if I'm not feeling good then I'll keep it slow. When I start putting in harder workouts and racing, I'll definitely have some days way slower for recovery purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John, I have been following your running since I first meet you and your dad at the USATF race at Elgin,Il. You had to pull out of the race with a bloody nose. You are doing well on the talent that you have. It goes to show what hard work can do. Keep up the running.
    Jim at Illini Central M.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea I use to run 8:30 but like you said better fitness will affect that ...but I know a state champ who ran 8:00 and he ran 15 5k xc and 4:20 1600.....he still runs about that pace and he's in college.....I guess everyone's different huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim - Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I do remember that race and meeting you up there. I liked running against you guys and Mitchell List. I'll see you around!

    Corey - Yes, everyone is different. People respond to the same training differently. Some runners are more aerobically oriented, and thrive off of that kind of training, and others can see results from doing lots of anaerobic stuff, without great aerobic fitness.

    ReplyDelete