Friday, August 12, 2011

Struggling Times and New Beginnings


Wow, it's been awhile. I haven't been in my normal blog writing mood as of late. I'd say that's mostly due to things not going so well in terms of running. I've had numerous more problems since the last entry and my layoff was extended considerably. I figured if I was having bad news on a weekly basis, why keep writing about it? I know my readers wouldn't want to listen to me moan and complain about how shitty my training is, or how my foot hurt today, or how I'm feeling quite down about this, especially on a weekly basis! I know I wouldn't want to read about that.

Well, I think things have changed for the better. I'm not going to proclaim that "I'm back" or that I'm sure I'll now be training uninterrupted from here on out, but things are looking the best that they have.


Here's the somewhat depressing outline of how the last 8 weeks have played out (with plenty of aqua jogging and biking in between that seemed to get less enjoyable with each passing day) :

Day after I got out of boot- Started having very bad knee pain (I've speculated many different causes, but still don't exactly what happened for sure, although I think it may have been a minor meniscus tear due to twisting my knee some on the day I watched NCAA's as I'm still feeling it a little now, but luckily it got better). For a good 10 days I was limping around considerably.

6/22 - 10min easy on grass at Spring Lake
6/25- 10min easy on grass at Spring Lake
6/28 - 12min easy on grass at a golf course in Nebraska

Felt some pain in my RIGHT foot while walking down the stairs and the next several days while pushing on it. 

7/4 - 10min easy on grass at Spring Lake

Got the right foot imaged, stress reaction in my intermediate cuneiform.

Two more weeks off.

7/17 - 2 miles easy on grass at Spring Lake in 14:19 (7:10/mi)
7/19 - 2 miles easy on grass at Spring Lake in 13:40 (6:51/mi)
7/21 - .9 miles-quit with unbearable pain in my left toe

10 days off, with which the toe was still bothering me after, but bearable

Last several days of building back up - I'm still having daily pains walking and sore spots here and there, but am running with hardly any pain:

8/3 - 2 miles very slow on treadmill testing the toe out
8/3 - 2.62 miles outside at western soccer fields and roads, felt toe some on the fields to did what I normally don't do and ran on the hard roads, but the smooth surface really made it feel better
8/5 - 3 miles very slow on treadmill
8/7 - 3.5 miles on crushed gravel trail averaging 6:52/mi
8/8 - 2miles very slow on treadmill
8/10 - 4 miles with first 3 on treadmill, last on outside in 6:32! 27:32 (6:52/mi)
8/11 - 2.63 miles on golf course in 18:25 (7:01/mi)


As of now, that's where my comeback stands. I'm going into this with no expectations. I'm really just trying to enjoy running right now and enjoy the confidence boost that occurs with watching my fitness improve on a daily basis. 

I'd obviously like to be in much better shape coming into a top notch program as I am usually adequately prepared and confident in the training I have done in the prior weeks and months coming into a season. The important thing is to get (and stay) healthy. I'm going to try and not compare myself to the other freshman or teammates constantly, who have had healthy and good summers of running. I don't think it will take me long to bounce back long if I stay patient

----------------

Okay, putting my training aside and where my fitness is at, I'm at a very exciting point in my life….

I moved out of my house today and am currently on my way across the country to my new home- Alamosa, Colorado. It's a definitely a bittersweet moment, but I'm ready. I'm ready to get out and see my new teammates (as a real team is something I've never really been able to be a part of), scope out my new training grounds, be under Coach Martin's expert guidance. 

I'll be stopping at my Grandparents in Nebraska for a couple of days before resuming the trip out there. I'll be moving my belongings into my dorm room on the 14th or 15th. We have a team meeting/barbecue on the 17th and my three-day freshman orientation starts the following day. Classes will begin soon after on Monday the 22nd. 

I'll keep you guys updated!

Thanks for reading.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment