Monday, June 6, 2011

Cross Training Week 5: 5/29-6/4

Readers,

I haven’t been getting my posts out like I should be at the end of my training week (Saturday), so I’ll try to be better at doing that or at least being closer to that day. It’s not like I have had anything more important to do that’s been occupying my time! Last week I was talking about the progress that the foot had made, but now it seems I’ve taken a couple of steps back. I was implementing some walking in regular shoes into my daily schedule starting at the end of week 4 and into the beginning of week 5. I didn’t experience any pain during these short 10 minute sessions, but did feel very weak in my left side. After a few days of this though, I started getting some soreness in my foot/toes when walking in the boot again. Like I said, I didn’t have any walking in normal shoes though. Really, this could also have been from me early on in the week getting out of the shower and walking across my bathroom barefoot for the first time in 5 weeks and doing the same thing in my bedroom. Again, I didn’t have ANY pain doing this, but it just could have been a little thing that contributed to a bit of a setback with the foot. Today though, it’s feeling better and walking in the boot has been pain free as I made a point to stay off of it all day yesterday (used crutches again).

Here’s the Week 5 Cross Training Log:

Sunday - PM: 5min of aquajogging, just wasn’t feeling it, 34min of cycling outside. I think mentally I was tired from the cross training the day/week before, which is a poor excuse regardless.

Monday - AM: 1hr of cycling on stationary bike in which I went really hard-10min warmup, 5x3min hard ~170bpm (1:30 recovery) , 10min moderate, 5min ~Tempo pace, 2min moderate, 5min ~Tempo pace, 7min cooldown. (Avg. HR of 144bpm); PM: 30min of easy aquajogging

Tuesday - AM: 14.75 mile bike ride to Macomb which was exclusively against the wind in 1:17:50; PM: 53min of aquajogging

Wednesday - AM: Only 18min of Stationary bike cycling-aborted workout when I felt slight soreness in my left foot; PM: 60min of aquajogging with some hard portions

Thursday - None, completely off.  Spent most of the day in St. Louis with my friends and was walking in the mall more than I would have liked, which made the foot sore again.

Friday - AM: 20 mile bike ride in 1:24:30 (Avg. HR of 150bpm); PM: 30min of Aquajogging

Saturday - AM: 45min of easy stationary bike cycling; PM: 30min of Aquajogging

Weekly Total: 545 minutes of aerobic activity. 208 of  those minutes being aquajogging and 337 of those minutes being from cycling. Really am not that happy with the totals and was hoping for a jump from last week, but on two of the days this last week, I just wasn’t feeling it.

Cycling is much more enjoyable than aquajogging (except for how my butt feels afterwards). I could continue to ramble on about how much I dislike cross training, but I really don’t want to talk about it more than I have to, as it just makes me more sick of it.

Sitting out writing this entry


I was supposed to be off of running a total of six weeks, which would mean that I would be able to ease back in by next week, but at this point I’m unsure of whether I’ll realistically be able to do that or not. Until next week, I’ll just continue to play it by feel and see how the foot is progressing day by day. That’s really all that I can do.

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment