Sunday, April 17, 2011

Trying To Find My Wheels

Hello Readers,

The 2011 outdoor season is starting to get into full swing. Our team headed down to Canton, Missouri for the Cansippi Relays on Thursday. I hopped into an 800m in addition to the mile to get the legs turning over a bit quicker and to use it as some under distance speed work. Besides the meet Thursday, I had quality workout days on Monday and Saturday.

Log:

Sunday - 11 miles easy around Spring Lake. Mostly on grass and trails. No time and with GPS off. Felt better than expected considering afterprom last night. Still cut it a bit short and stayed at a VERY comfortable effort. Last 10 minutes or so barefoot

Monday - Workout in Monmouth due to us having a little meet there. 3.11 mile warmup with Gatlin Marlow from Monmouth-Roseville to Monmouth college, strides; 6x800m intended to be run on Monmouth College track, but right when I was getting ready to start the workout the whole MC track team came out for their workout and was using basically the whole track. So I used my watch to measure an improv 800m route on the sidewalk with sharp 90 degree turns and hills. Originally wanted to run 2:26s on the track(right at 3200m effort), but with the route change it slowed things drastically. I worked from mid 2:30s on the first few down to 2:28 on the last one. Gauging by my effort, I'm sure these were run at the right pace. I used about 2min recovery with a bit of jog in between; 2 miles easy to MC soccer fields (getting turned around on the way there); 8x80m barefoot strides; 3.61 mile cooldown back to the high school, getting somewhat lost again. (Tot. 12mi, way more than I had planned)

Tuesday - 8 miles easy in 54:57

Wednesday - 6.11 miles easy in 40:10 (6:35/mi); 6x200m progression w/ jog back recovery: 35.96, 35.5, 34.32, 34.83, 33.59, 33.67 (Last 2 wearing victories, trying to break them in some) Tot. 7.1mi

Thursday - AM: 10min shakeout before school. Muscles pretty stiff, but feeling good (1.4 miles)
PM: Cansippi Relays in Canton, MO - Various warmup totaling 4.2 miles; Race 1600m wanting to cruise to 4:40 as comfortable as possible, ran right at 4:40 which got me the win by quite a bit; Half mile easy after 1600m; Half mile warmup and strides, 800m in 2:06.3 (2nd); 2.5mi cooldown with most of it barefoot. The 800m was a 4 second PR, and for someone who has absolutely no speed, I was pretty happy with it.

Friday - 8 miles easy in 56:40 (7:05/mi) on Barn School Road. The weather got really bad really fast midway through my run. I was still quite aways from my car, this road is 8 miles from town, and there is an about one house per mile on this road. I was mainly concerned with the lightning, but the clouds were making weird formations as well. Somehow, right as it began to hail and get even nastier, I see my dad who came out to get me. It was quite the experience, but I'm happy he came and got me. Later I found out there was a tornado spotted about 10 miles east of there. I finished the rest of my run in town when I got home.

Saturday - 3 mile warmup in 19:20 (6:27/mi), strides, 25 minute *Wind Aided Tempo Run covering 4.45mi (5:37/mi), splits: 1-5:43, 2-5:40, 3-5:34, 4-5:31, 4.45-2:31; 2.5 mile cooldown in 17:39 (7:04/mi) (Tot. 10mi)

Total: 66.5 miles. Good core/general strength workouts every day but Sunday

I'm pretty pleased with this week's training as a whole. I'm still keeping the mileage up, but the intensity has been increasing quite a bit, which makes the overall training load that much tougher. I'm trying to balance the hard days with the recovery days, but still am probably in a pretty high state of fatigue overall.

This next week we'll have a home meet on Monday where I'll just run the mile and do a workout after. I'm wanting to cruise to a 4:40 again and get in a specific 3200m pace workout after. The plan is to go for a fast 3200 on Thursday in a meet in Rushville (weather permitting). Like I said, the mileage is staying up there, as I don't respond to dropping the mileage that much, especially not this early. I'm trying to get in a solid tempo run weekly and not get too far away from that stimulus either. The week after next, I'll be trying to go for a fast 1600m at the Fulton County Invitational, as there will be some good competition there.

Thanks for reading

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment