Saturday, March 12, 2011

Wet and Windy Week

Hey there, readers!

The last seven days have featured some crummy running weather, most of which occurred mid-week, but it wasn't anything atypical for the middle of March. Most days were mid 30s to mid 40s, some days very wet and rainy, and  it was really windy all week long. I did get in another solid week of work, so I can't complain.


Log:

Sunday - 12 mile Long Run, 1:21:00. Day after race, kept the effort easier than normal and turned off the GPS on watch so that I wouldn't be looking at splits. So, basically guessed that I ran 6:45/mi, could be off, but that's about 15sec/mile slower than normal. All of run done on soft surfaces at Spring Lake in the trails and on xc course.

Monday - 9 miles easy in 1:01:30 (6:50/mi), 6x80m strides
XT: Full general strength routine (L/R side plank, regular plank, glute/hip raise, pushups, supermans, leg lifts, single leg raises, med. glute exercise), stretching, rolling out, hurdle drills, inversion table

Doing General Strength routine


Tuesday - AM: 2mi shakeout
PM: Cold and pouring rain, not fun. 2.5mi warmup (17:07-6:51/mi), strides, 25min tempo run covering 4.33mi (5:46/mi)-splits: 1-5:54, 2-5:49, 3-5:44, 4-5:40, 1:51; 4x400m relaxed (1:14, 1:13, 1:16, 1:15), 2mi cooldown in 13:56 (6:58/mi). Total of 10mi, 12 on day
XT: Full general strength routine, stretching, rolling out, inversion table

Wednesday - 8 miles recovery, 57:05 (7:08/mi)
XT: Full general strength routine, stretching


Thursday - AM: 1mi shakeout. I know, 1mi shakeout? I didn't have enough time for anything else, as I woke up far too late.
PM: WINDY! First half of workout into it, second half with it. 9miles: 15min warmup-7:20, 6:50, :52, fartlek- 5x1min "on", 1 "off", 5x2min "on",2 "off", the rest cool down cooldown (58:21-6:29/mi); 6x200m relaxed, starting at mid 37s working to high 35s (Tot. of 10mi, 11 on day)
XT: Full general strength routine, stretching

Friday - 9 miles easy, 1:01:00 (6:47/mi). No track practice, so I got to do it on Barn School Road, a rolling dirt road. Very windy, first half into it.
XT: Half of general strength routine, stretching

Saturday - 11 miles with wind, 1:07:12 (6:07/mi): First 8 progression-6:27,6:20,6:02,6:08,5:57,5:51,5:53,5:46, mile easy-6:25, 3x1min hard/2min easy, the rest cool down. Felt very controlled and relaxed.; 6x10sec Hill Sprints afterwards, full recovery. Trying to get SOME leg speed. Great workout overall.
XT: Full general strength routine, stretching, Inversion table




Total: 72 miles. Good mileage and good quality.

Happy with the week. Consistency is what it's all about, and things are going good. I got in my general strength/injury prevention everyday this week but Sunday. Also, in addition to my main workouts this week, got in some hill sprints this week to assist in my embarrassing top end leg speed. Wanted to do a lot more of this during the base phase this winter, but with no hills in town it was always too iced over or snow covered out of town. Or I seemed to be dealing with some little nagging injury. I'm not really having any nagging pains right now, and in contrast to last year, I have full control of my left leg. Hopefully it can stay that way for the foreseeable future. Still doing a lot of long tempo stuff which I seem to thrive off of well, also touching on the race pace stuff with the 200s and 400s I did after my workouts this week, but still nothing too hard yet. I'll be getting into the more specific track stuff here in the next few weeks. Once I start hitting those workouts, I feel that I'll be reaping more of the benefits of this good aerobic work. I'm excited.

I'll race Tuesday in a 3200 at Monmouth College. Hopefully that'll be my qualifier for Illinois Prep Top Times (our "Indoor State"). Most likely the effort will be solo, as a good friend of mine from Monmouth-Roseville, Gatlin Marlow, is out with a stress fracture in his foot and Coffey isn't in the 3200. We'll see how things go, though.

Feeling Strong

-John

No comments:

Post a Comment